Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Old Soles

[Updated] My paperwork from California has arrived! I became concerned when the five dollar fee for the record had not been withdrawn from my account, so I called. The very sweet man at the Sacramento office told me that they had received my paperwork.  It took about twenty minutes to locate the record.  The nice man had to use my date of birth (about which I swore him to secrecy) because something was wrong with the way my data had been entered.

The nice gentleman told me that it would take another four weeks or so to get the abstract back. I am happy to say that the California DMV came through for me much more quickly than that. My camper remains parked but not for much longer. I am staying busy in the meanwhile.

One of the best parts of launching this adventure is meeting wonderful people.  I got to meet a few wonderful people this past Tuesday when I met Frank and his awesome crew at Frank's Tire Service.


I found Frank through a random Google Search.  I had no idea where to source the tires I want to use from my Dress Shoes so I simply typed "Used Tires" into the search box.  Frank's was the first non-ad based business that came up and his Bronx address seemed familiar so I called. I could only imagine the look on his face when I asked him, "Do you have any tires that you can't sell?"  He had about a hundred, he told me. I couldn't believe my luck (which is kinda dumb because tons of tires are just thrown out every year, right?)

About one week after I called, I took the journey to the Bronx and found my way to Frank's shop.  He and his colleagues at the shop were just wonderful. Frank remembered my call (why wouldn't he, it was nuts, right). We talked through my project for a bit.  As we did, a new set of dilemmas came to light. How would I cut the tires? What kind of adhesive would I use?  Frank offered to give me a sample to take home with me.  He got some of his guys together and here is what happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment