Friday, June 14, 2013

Dress Shoes

New York City's first real heatwave of the year coincided with my heroic (and ultimately futile)  effort to get a New York State driver license so that I can register my new camper (which I still have not met).  Three trips to the DMV in one afternoon (on foot) and I still don't have a New York driver license. It turns out that the document California sent me is not the right one. I have ordered the necessary document - which will come in another seven-to-ten days [Update: Just found out that it is really 4-6 weeks.  I weep].

In the meanwhile, I discovered that I would not be getting any classes to teach for the summer and that final paycheck for the semester that I was counting on?  Well, I had counted wrong.  There went my main source of income and rent for the month of June. And July.  And August.  This was an unexpected but totally affirming example of why I am doing this life-style re-design. I do not want to be up a certain very smelly creek without a paddle (or even a canoe, really) ever again.

Part of my happy lifestyle design thing is creating streams of income that allow me to be independent and to travel. I didn't expect to dive into being my own income making factory quite this quickly but, who says life has to be convenient.  I've taken stock of my stuff and my skills and this is what I've come up with.

First.  I have a computer, video camera and shooting/editing skills.  I'm currently working on a sizzle (best of reel/EPK* type thing) for a band.  If you are in a band, have a small budget, and need a simple video, hit me up. My terms are very reasonable.

Second. I have a guitar and an amp, a mic and a chair.  This is all one needs to go out and literally sing for one's supper.  If you're in NYC and happen by the uptown side of the one train at 59th Street/Columbus Circle, check out the music.  You might just find me there.  Please be generous!

Third.  I have a sewing machine and a few self-taught skills.  Here is where some serendipity happened.

My mom happened to send my sister and me an email with the subject heading "Shoes"!  I'm still not sure what that had to do with the email she sent because she didn't say anything about shoes in the message.

My sister thought my mom was asking us to help collect shoes for the 120 or so kids she and my dad provide food and clothing for in South Africa (more on that in another post - they need your help and by that I mean go there and actually help).

Being a consummate entrepreneur, I wrote to my sister suggesting that, instead of sending shoes to South Africa, we collect money and buy the shoes there.

My sister pointed out that finding a place to get the shoes might be an issue so I fired right back, suggesting that we make the shoes.  I thought we could teach the older kids and so that they could learn entrepreneurship and earn some income. A quick Google search turned up easy patterns for making shoes.

I loved the patterns I found and I thought, I'd like to have those shoes! My mind went wild with the different designs I could create and the materials I could use. My aim is to make and sell 100% vegan, 90% recycled hand-crafted flat shoes.

I had spied my sewing machine buried behind some boxes when I had sold my chair to Jasmine. One long subway ride and a snug fit into my grocery cart later, I had my sewing machine at home. Check out my shoe video. For this shoe I have recycled an old dress that I can no longer wear.


Neat, huh? A quick call to a used tire business and I have access to all the discarded tires I can use for the soles. I'm trying to get over there next week. And I'm taking orders!

In the meanwhile, a big mediation came my way and I will likely be teaching a class in July after all.  It constantly amazes me how these things find a way of working themselves out. Life is good.

*EPK stands for Electronic Press Kit






No comments:

Post a Comment