Friday, January 31, 2014

Stickers! The secret to my success.





My time of sloth is nearing its end. A new semester has begun and a new month begins tomorrow. It is a perfect time to start a new challenge and I have (finally) decided what to do.

First, for the month of February, I will only eat food that I have cooked myself from scratch. I will neither purchase nor eat baked goods, vegan cheese, canned beans, and so forth. If I want cupcakes I must bake them myself. There are two exceptions. First is Tofu. Second, I may eat out twice in the month.

I was inspired to do this challenge by this video in which Michael Pollan claims that I can eat anything I want, so long as I cook it myself. The premise is that fattening foods are also labor intensive. It is much faster to cook healthy food than to bake pies and make french fries. So much time goes into making the high calorie dishes, goes the rationale, they will become dishes for special occasions only. I can see this. Think of how long it takes to make a good lasagna from scratch. And apple pie - when you have to make both the crust and the filling from scratch? So that is the first challenge.







Second, in the month of February I will complete a Plank & Jump Rope challenge and 10 Sun Salutation challenge. I'll post the details about those in the next blog.

I am just like the next person when it comes to picking a goal and sticking to it. I suck at it. Witness the month of January. I do believe I will be more successful this time because I have strategy on my side. A recent episode of The Colbert Report featured the author Charles Duhigg who has written the book "The Power of Habit".

Duhigg's main point is that forming a habit (or understanding one) isn't just about repeating an action over and over. It is essential to understand the underlaying reward that entices one to repeat the action. What is it about the habit that really gives you pleasure? 

His epiphany came when he realized the real reason he took a break every afternoon to go to his company's cafeteria for a cookie: He really enjoyed seeing his friends. It didn't matter what he ate, hanging out was the real reward. He stopped getting the cookies - and lost some weight. I can dig it.

I asked myself, in the instances when I have successfully reached a long-term goal, what reward kept me going?

With the juice feast, it was the pleasure of posting pretty pictures of gorgeous veggies. I enjoyed the challenge of arranging them and creating the lighting and deciding on what angle would best show off my masterpiece. I could post pictures of my meals - but that would get tedious after a while since I do tend to repeat meals a lot. 

With the 30 Day Bikram Yoga Challenge, the reward was much simpler: Stickers

That is really all it took. Every day for 30 days I endured temperatures above 105F at 50% humidity for 90 minutes of pretzel twisting torture all for the sake of coming down the stairs and plopping myself in front of the receptionist so that she could give me my sticker. It was like first grade all over again. And it WORKED! I am so proud of my little calendar and I can't wait to start a new one. 

Imagine something that simple, inexpensive yet emotionally pleasing being the magic behind your successes. Would it work for you?


Gotta run - I have some grocery shopping to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment