Friday, April 26, 2013

What Makes You Itch?

Whenever I feel that, perhaps, I am the adopted spawn of Don Quixote and Sisyphus with this Happy Lifestyle Design stuff, I watch this video. A Facebook friend shared it with me. Someone named Angelina Smith posted it. It is my meditation.

Sometimes I forget that when I was pushed off the cliff five years ago, I discovered that I could fly! So, when I worry about how my rent for August will arrive or whether I'll ever be able to see a dentist about this tooth that is bothering me or whether I'll ever pay off these darned school loans, or whether I'll ever get this van or birth the sustainable farm/service retreat/entrepreneur incubator I am dreaming of, this little video helps me to remember what I already know to be true: It will come.  It always does.

The British philosopher, Alan Watts reminds us to ask the earth-shattering question, "How would you really enjoy spending your life?" Get that? How would you enjoy spending your life? You have permission to do that! We are taught the opposite. We are taught that one does not have permission to do what one enjoys but, rather, that one must do what is necessary to be successful (code for "materially wealthy"), no matter whether getting to "success" sucks the very joy from one's existence. Alan Watts calls this stupid. What a relief to hear this and to know it to be true. How would you really enjoy spending your life? Dream a little. Keep on dreaming. Dream bigger. Take that first step . . . and then the leap. It will come. It always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment